Inventory Unit Detail
2017 Harley-Davidson® Softail - Slim
Low Country Harley-Davidson®
BLACK AND GREY
Softail - Slim
The perfect blend of classic, raw bobber style and the power of a High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine. A modern ride with unmistakable old-iron attitude.
- The good old days are right now: The Softail Slim® is a study in contrasts. The Hollywood bars, slim rear wheel, cat eye console and floor boards recall the early days of custom motorcycle enthusiasm. Yet, you also get thoroughly modern features like a High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine, hidden suspension and great brakes to bring it all into the here and now. Notice the way bright chrome meets blacked-out metal. Laced wheels with stamped black rims. There’s never been a better time to be a rider.
- Authentic Styling: Get an eyeful of a Softail® motorcycle and you see more than some weepy-eyed exercise in nostalgia. You’re looking at the kind of style that has the power to defy time. Honest. Uncluttered. Unaffected by the fad of the moment. There’s a good reason for this. We’ve used our long decades on the road, riding, wrenching, talking to other custom bike fanatics, to discover what works. Then we stick with it, and use it to push the boundaries of motorcycle design ever further. Take a look at the horseshoe oil tank adorning our Softail models. It’s the same one you’d see on a restored dresser from the ‘50s, or a radical Panhead chopper from the ‘70s. And you’ll find it right now on future Harley-Davidson® models that still on the drawing board. Other companies may be content to imitate bits and pieces from our long history. On a Softail motorcycle every part down to the axle nut cover comes from an authentic tradition. With a genuine reason for looking the way it looks.
- Iconic Engine: The air-cooled 45° V-Twin engine at the heart of every Softail model is a prime example of what makes a Harley-Davidson motorcycle more satisfying than anything else. Its clean, uncluttered shape fits perfectly in the downtubes of the frame. Twist the throttle and the surge of torque hits you exactly where it counts. The knowledge of what makes an engine truly move a rider runs deep at The Motor Company, and it’s been put to particular good use to power the Softail family. We counterbalance the engine, which means we can bolt it directly to the frame. It keeps the styling tight at the center of the bike. It lets the rider feel the pulse of the V-Twin. With the High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine, there aren’t any vibrations rattling the fillings out of your teeth. More power is always a Harley-Davidson tradition.
- Handling: If you’ve never experienced a Harley-Davidson® Softail® motorcycle, it’s time to find out what you’ve been missing. The venerable Softail frame has logged untold millions of miles, and we’ve put every one of them to good use. The result: one of the most fun rides in all of motorcycling. We’ve spent the years making the frame stiffer, the geometry more balanced and the braking more precise. The dazzling wheels are wrapped in premium Dunlop rubber. The low seats give you a confident feeling of being a part of the motorcycle. Get out on a rolling stretch of backcountry highway and it all comes together. The crisp and responsive ride. The killer looks. As long as we build motorcycles like this having a good time will never go out of style.
- Comfort: The authentic look of a Softail motorcycle comes from the days before anyone knew much about building a suspension. The rigid hardtail frames of yesteryear had a pure, uncluttered look that riders still love. But the bone-rattling ride meant your grandpa needed to strap on a kidney belt to keep his internals intact. The Softail family uses modern technology to consign the kidney belt to the museum. We've kept all the modern comforts where they belong—below the surface of a rad bike loaded with authentic style. You get the classic lines of a vintage "hardtail" frame with the horizontal rear shocks hidden in the guts. It's a signature rigid look, and you'll only find it on a Softail model.
- "Hollywood" Handlebars and "Cat Eye" Console: A cutting-edge ride that's rich with Harley-Davidson history, the Softail Slim® model's old-iron soul comes alive right up front. Unique retro-inspired handlebars call back to the glory days of 1940s bobbers, while the gloss-black headlamp cover and the "Cat Eye" console with its retro speedo face add even more swing-era swagger.
- Round Air Cleaner Cover Design: The job of feeding air to the combustion process is key to getting you down the road, so the air cleaner cover gets special treatment when Harley-Davidson Styling goes to work on a motorcycle. Take a look at the center of the Softail Slim® model and you see the pure nostalgia of a gloss-black retro round air cleaner cover. It adds a raw old-school look to the minimalist, blacked-out styling of the High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine. Modern power with old iron attitude.
- Hidden Rear Shocks: If you want a comfortable bike but love that rigid-suspension look, you've come to the right bike. We've kept all the modern comforts where they belong—below the surface of a rad, vintage-looking bike. You get the classic lines of a vintage 'hardtail' frame with the horizontal rear shocks hidden in the guts. It's a signature rigid look, and you'll only find it on a Softail® model.
- Narrow Rear Profile: The narrow rear tire and chopped fender with its integrated stop/turn/tail light and side-mounted license plate add up to a stripped-down profile that evokes the iconic, no-nonsense style of classic bobbers.
- High Output Twin Cam 103B™ Engine: The knowledge of what makes an engine truly move a rider runs deep at The Motor Company, and it was put to good use when we created the High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine. We sweated bullets perfecting every cubic inch, pushing design and technology forward. And we did it all without compromising one bit of Harley-Davidson's unique styling. Evolved, yet carrying on the legacy of the Flathead, Knucklehead, Panhead, Shovelhead, Evolution® and Twin Cam 88™ and Twin Cam 96® engines that came before. The performance and durability are a direct result of the untold miles logged on the V-Twin since 1909 and the proud heritage that comes from a century's worth of commitment to life on two wheels.
- Pure Harley-Davidson Styling: Feast your eyes on the High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine and there's no mistaking its roots. This is authentic Harley-Davidson style through and through with an attention to detail you won't find from any other motorcycle company. Medium gray engine with black powder-coated cylinders and cylinder heads are topped off with polished rocker covers and an old school round air cleaner cover for a tough vintage Harley-Davidson attitude. It's a jewel machined out of metal. Pure. Dripping with power. From the classic edge of the cooling fins to the clean lines of cases and covers—the High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine makes an ironclad statement about holding on to what's right and staying true to what satisfies.
- High Output Twin Cam 103B™ Engine Power: Asking riders if they’d like more power is like asking them “Would you like more beer in the pitcher?” when they've reached the end of a long day tearing up the roads. Everybody wants it, and the High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine is 103 cubic inches of Harley-Davidson V-Twin you can rely on to deliver it. The airbox increases intake airflow and the cam optimizes phase and duration. The result: better low-end torque and faster 60 to 80 mph 5th gear roll-on to get you around that 18-wheeler. In other words, it gets you motivated in a hurry. In the tradition of the legendary Harley iron that came before it, the High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine is once again raising the bar for the feeling an engine delivers to the rider. There’s a reason we’re called the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. Once you send some fuel to this engine, you’ll have no doubt whose it is.
- High Output Twin Cam 103B™ Engine Innovation: Fire up the High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine and feel the low-end torque unleashed. Thanks to the lightweight piston design, delivery of the added power is more refined than ever. Then put your foot on the shifter and feel how the engine and 6-Speed Cruise Drive® Transmission were designed to work together. Six speeds. A strong driveline and strong internal parts. Low routine maintenance. And a low cruising rpm that couldn't feel better.
- 6-Speed Cruise Drive® Transmission: You want a ride that rumbles—not begs for mercy—when you lean on it a little. The 6-Speed Cruise Drive® transmission provides smooth, quiet shifting and reduces engine speed on the highway, so you get a better match between engine turnover and road speed. It's a rare ride when a bike responds like this, and a low growl goes a long way when you're opening up the road ahead.
- Dunlop® Tires: Whether you're crossing state lines or staying within city limits, you want sure contact with the road. The front end holds a premium touring tire with a three-ply polyester casing and two fiberglass belts. The back cruiser tire has an advanced tread pattern. Made from a specifically formulated compound, it delivers outstanding grip in wet or dry weather. And since they're from Dunlop®, you know you're wrapping your premium rollers in quality rubber.
- Front Brake System: The front brake system on the Softail® models delivers a 40 percent reduction in the amount of lever force required at peak braking. The handlebar master and front cylinders have been restyled. There's a 4-piston fixed caliper with 32 and 34 mm pistons, premium caliper piston coating to minimize initial displacement and a larger 300 mm rotor. It all adds up to more stopping power with less effort.
- Engineered for Easy Handling: The Softail Slim® motorcycle may come on heavy, but it's been designed to handle like a dream, with easy jiffy stand lift-off and great low-speed maneuverability, so you're always riding in control. And when it's time to stop, the low-slung saddle means your feet easily reach the road.
- Low Solo Seat: The low-slung solo saddle matches the motorcycle's clean, back-to-basics attitude, setting you "in" the bike so you ride like you're a part of it and the open road ahead of you.
- Half Moon Foot Boards: Cruise ahead with both feet in the past with this fresh twist on a classic design. The look may be vintage but the comfort is up-to-date: the chrome-plated steel surround and high durability raised rubber shapes are assembled to offer modern cast-in vibration isolation.
- Length: 92.3 in. (2,345 mm)
- Seat Height, Laden: 23.8 in. (605 mm)
- Seat Height, Unladen: 28.2 in. (665 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 4.9 in. (125 mm)
- Rake (steering head) (deg): 32.1
- Trail: 5.8 in. (147 mm)
- Wheelbase: 64.4 in. (1,635 mm)
- Tires, Front Specification: MT90B16 72H
- Tires, Rear Specification: MU85B16 77H
- Fuel Capacity: 5 gal. (18.9 L)
- Oil Capacity (w/filter): 3.5 qt. (3.3 L)
- Weight, As Shipped: 677 lb. (307 kg)
- Weight, In Running Order: 706 lb. (320 kg)
- Engine: Air-Cooled, High Output Twin Cam 103B™
- Bore: 3.87 in. (9.84 mm)
- Stroke: 4.374 in. (111.1 mm)
- Displacement: 103.1 cu in (1,690 cc)
- Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
- Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Primary Drive: Chain, 34/46 ratio
- Gear Ratios (overall) 1st: 9.311
- Gear Ratios (overall) 2nd: 6.454
- Gear Ratios (overall) 3rd: 4.793
- Gear Ratios (overall) 4th: 3.882
- Gear Ratios (overall) 5th: 3.307
- Gear Ratios (overall) 6th: 2.79
- Exhaust: Chrome, over/under shotgun exhaust with dual mufflers
- Wheels, Front Type: Black Steel Laced
- Wheels, Rear Type: Black Steel Laced
- Brakes, Caliper Type: 4-piston front and 2-piston rear
- Engine Torque Testing Method: J1349
- Engine Torque: 102.5 ft-lb (139 Nm)
- Engine Torque (rpm): 3,000
- Lean Angle, Right (deg.): 24
- Lean Angle, Left (deg.): 24.9
- Fuel Economy: Combined City/Hwy: 42 mpg (5.6 l/100 km)
- Lights (as per country regulation), Indicator Lamps: High beam, neutral, low oil pressure, turn signals, engine diagnostics, security system (optional), 6-speed, low fuel warnings, ABS (optional)
- Gauges: Tank-mounted electronic speedometer with odometer, time-of-day clock on odometer, dual tripmeter, RPM/gear display, fuel gauge with low fuel warning light and countdown feature, low oil pressure indicator light, engine diagnostics readout, LED indicator lights, 6-speed indicator light
NOTES:Recommended 91 octane or higher fuel (R+M)/2. Fuel Economy estimated from fuel economy tests on a sample motorcycle from the corresponding family conducted by Harley-Davidson under ideal laboratory conditions. Not all motorcycle models undergo fuel economy testing. Fuel economy and mileage may vary among motorcycle models within a family. Your mileage may vary depending on your personal riding habits, weather conditions, trip length, vehicle condition and vehicle configuration and other conditions. Break-in mileage may vary. Engine torque values shown are nominal. Performance may vary by country and region. Standard and optional fuel systems may vary by country. Standard and optional wheels may vary by country and region. North America security system includes immobilizer; outside North America the security system includes immobilizer and siren. Seat Height measurement reflects 180 lb. (81.7 kg) operator weight.
- Engine Type
- High Output Twin Cam 103B™
- 103.1 cu in (1,690 cc)
- Bore and Stroke
- 3.87 in. (98.4 mm) x 4.374 in. (111.1 mm)
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Front Brakes
- Rear Brakes
- Front Tire
- MT90B16 72H
- Rear Tire
- MU85B16 77H
- 64.4 in. (1,635 mm)
- Seat Height
- Laden: 23.8 in. (605 mm); Unladen: 28.2 in. (665 mm)
- 5.8 in. (147 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 5 gal. (18.9 L)
- 42 mpg (5.6 l/100 km)
- Dry Weight
- 677 lb. (307 kg)
- Charcoal Denim/Black Denim